Saturday, March 22, 2008

Hollywood's Inaccuracies

Yahoo came out with a list of "The 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies: Films that Make Your High School History Teacher Cry" .

The 10 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

10,000 B.C.
Gladiator
300
The Last Samurai
Apocolypto
Memoirs of a Geisha
Braveheart
Elizabeth:The Golden Age
The Patriot
2001:A Space Odessey

Needless to say, I didn't cry. I do disagree with 10,000 B.C. and 2001:A Space Odessey being included. What happened 10,000 years ago is purely conjecture and pure entertainment. Also, since when is science fiction history?

I have used The Patriot in my World History classes. I feel that several of these films are valuable teaching tools. Yes, Hollywood does take liberties with history for the sake of entertainment but it is important to teach your students how to analyze and weigh what they see on the big screen especially when what they are watching is "based on true events".

No comments: